When musicians Ben Howard, The Staves and Ben Lovett of Mumford & Sons fame hop in five Volkswagen vans for a joint American tour, vintage aesthetics and old-timey folk moods are aplenty.
Their journey starts at the legendary South by Southwest Festival, from where they continue across the country all the way to Boston. During the tour, the fellowship faces problems both past and present, but the traditions of touring and gigging are never lost on the way.
Music is a constant part of traveling, but being on stage is not all that counts. Howard and the rest play in vans, woods and remote motels. Musically the film peaks in The Staves’ heartfelt rendition of Sufjan Stevens’ indie classic Chicago, which the Staveley-Taylor sisters perform in a van as they ride through a deserted American landscape.
But what tops even music, is the communality of the touring life, and its at times surprising effects.
Teksti: Arttu Manninen / Translation: Tapio Reinekoski
- Name in Original Language: Austin to Boston
- Director: James Marcus Haney
- Country: USA, Australia
- Year: 2014
- Length: 72 min
- Age limit: null
- Cinematography: Ty Johnson, James Marcus Haney, Cid Salcido, Kelly Teacher
- Editing: Kitty Green, Ty Johnson
- Audio: Timothy Dutch Vannette
- Music: Ben Howard, The Staves
- Production: Ty Johnson, Communion - Sideshow Alley
- Cinema Sõprus: Thursday 29.01 - 21:30